South Sudan

UPDF safely pulls 3,000 Ugandans out of Juba


The national troops have safely evacuated 3,000 Ugandans from the volatile South Sudan capital, Juba.

The first batch of Ugandans set off from Nisitu market, about 40 Kilometers from Juba Friday afternoon.

This, according to reports, was due to delays in loading people and their property on the trucks ferrying them back.

Lt. Kato Hassan Ahmed, the spokesperson of the UPDF contingent handling the evacuation, had earlier said the trucks would enter Uganda on Saturday morning via Nimule border post.

Army spokesperson, Lt Col Paddy Ankunda later confirmed that the first batch had been evacuated and that the army would go back to bring more.


“First batch of over three thousand Ugandans have been evacuated from South Sudan and have arrived safely,” Ankunda tweeted.

Uganda nationals who were supposed to be evacuated from the South Sudan capital Juba have refused to leave, the minister for Relief and Disaster Preparedness Eng Hilary Onek, earlier said.

“UPDF has gone to bring back UG nationals stuck in S.Sudan but shockingly some of them don’t want to come back.”

The minister said UPDF will evacuate them forcefully, a development the army later disputed.

Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda.
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top