Since April 26, civil society ordered the Burundian population to protest peacefully against the third term of President Nkurunziza.
The National Police tried to block the enraged population of Justice, but in vain.
This is when the power of the CNDD-FDD was concerned about the scale of the demonstrations especially since, apparently, there were soldiers who appeared to support the protesters.
Nkurunziza then decided to establish intelligence services in previous meetings called Plan B.
This analysis describes the true from the false coup scenario based on real information from some officers and NCOs who participated in the preparatory meetings.
During the coup, I was in touch with more than five police officers and soldiers of the security forces (telephone calls-evidence).
I also contacted the non-commissioned officers and soldiers during and after the coup. The coup was prepared primarily by the Chief of Staff, Prime Niyongabo, and the former head of SNR, Adolphe Nshimirimana.
President Nkurunziza orchestrated a coup himself by agreeing to seek a third anti-constitutional mandate. So, given the unexpected scale of the demonstrations, the Chief of Staff Prime Niyongabo with Nkurunziza loyalists had decided to implement Plan B confirming to the putschists that the President would not return home.
Willy same Nyamitwe Advisor to the presidency confirmed the plan to the Interior Minister, Edouard Nduwimana.
In short, this analysis is not exhaustive investigation as it is a contribution to be supplemented by other information.
This analysis is to prove that the sponsor of the coup that happened in Burundi is the President himself. We call on the international community to take seriously the current threats of extrajudicial killings of leaders and members of the political opposition and civil society.
Scenario of the famous Plan B
- On May 10, the demonstrations reached the highest point and the demonstrators finally reached the city for the first time. Besides, President Nkurunziza was summoned to Tanzania and could have been forced to abdicate by force to regional security interests.
- Monday, May 11 meetings were secretly held within the General Staff between senior army officers including Maj-Gen Prime Niyongabo, the Adviser of the Minister of Diplomacy Maj-Gen Cyril Ndayirukiye (former Defence Minister) and the former head of the National Intelligence Service Maj-Gen Godefroid Niyombare (former Chief of Staff) and others.
At this point, the former Defence Minister, Cyrille Ndayirukiye, and some of his colleagues did not suspect that in reality they would share the plan sponsored by Nkurunziza himself and executed by his Chief of Staff Prime Niyongabo.
Why the false coup
A false coup was planned for three major emergencies: Prevent the President from attending the summit in Tanzania where he could have been pressured to withdraw his illegal application; stop the movement of protesters who had become uncontrollable; destroy all media (radio and television) that is critical of the president and physically eliminate political opponents and leaders of civil society.
Brig Gen. Niyongabo and intelligence services claim that the President himself has decided not to seek a third term.
So the President asked the military to take responsibility.
The coup was expected to help prepare for the establishment of a transition government to be headed by civilians, at least that is what the plotters (who were used and betrayed) thought.
President Nkurunziza could be part of the transition if necessary. The rebel officers were not prepared in any way to a mutiny.
Thus the Chief of Staff Niyongabo contacted the Defense Minister, Pontian Gaciyubwenge, asking for men.
This explains the involvement of Maj. Gen Habarugira, Colonel Kazungu and others.
There was no fighting between the military.
General Godefroid Niyombare, Cyrille Ndayirukiye and colleagues obeyed a common plan.
All these officers were involved in a common agreement to perform the coup and establish a transitional government restoring democracy.
It was not even a coup as such since the President himself did not oppose it, while public opinion was favourable and acceptable in the international context.
- On Monday, other officers were invited to attend the meetings and form the Committee for the restoration of national harmony and this consisted of: Major General Godefroid Niyombare (FDD ex-fugitive), Major General Cyrille Ndayirukiye (ex-FAB arrest), Brigadier Silvère Habarugira (ex-FAB on the run), Brigadier Prime Ngowenubusa (FDD ex-fugitive), Brigadier General Silas Ntigurirwa (FDD ex-fugitive),Commissioner Leonard Ngendakumana (FDD ex-fugitive), Police Commissioner Zeno Ndabaneze (ex-FDD arrest) and Police Commissioner Nimenya Hermenegilde (ex-FAB arrest).
- On Tuesday, May 12, the committee convened by Para battalion commanders of camps Armoured 11 Muha and DCA. In a case where the President himself decided to resign and that all senior military officials accept the coup, the four battalions were enough to make the Putsch in peace and without any shooting. The role of these battalions were: DCA: Occupy the airport to prevent the president from landing; The Camps Para 13: Occupy National Broadcasting (RTNB) and other strategic points; Camp Muha: Securing the axes and the city in support of 11 armoured battalion; 11th Armoured: Press armoured takes over radios and the airport, and secure the axes supporting the Camp Muha; The Presidential Guard: Strengthen strategic decision points.
- At least three senior elements are cited in the plan B: The two battalion commanders of Camp Muha and DCA, and the presidential guard BCPI. We can’t confirm that a number of unidentified officers Putsch Committee were aware of Plan B.
- The same Tuesday, junior officers were designated land roles. Here I will use the following nicknames: Official in charge of taking the radio: Col Radio, Official in charge of taking the airport: Gen. Brig. DCA, Manager responsible for monitoring road axes: Lt. Col. Axes and Responsible to coordinate FNL nicknames: Major Fox.
- On Wednesday, May 13, the script was ready to be executed. By early afternoon, General Godefroid Niyombare announced the dismissal and dissolution of the government. The audience cheered the news and hit the streets to celebrate.
At the same time, the units moved quietly to occupy strategic positions, including soldiers of the Presidential Guard who took RTNB. Indeed, it was expected that Maj-Gen Niyombare using private radio and Maj-Gen Prime Niyongabo using RTNB, would announce supporting putschists.
- To their surprise, Gen-Maj Prime Niyongabo announced the contrary, he does not support the coup. Indeed, the scenario of PLAN B was prepared in advance by the National Intelligence Service under the leadership of Major-Gen Adolphe Nshimirimana and Willy Nyamitwe. The military had all been warned in advance and were armed accordingly.
- Oddly, the Defense minister withdrew from Coup before his Chief of Staff reached the radio. He was approached by the Minister of the Interior who explained to him the real plan at the last minute (source check). He had no choice but to disappear temporarily. He who had been active in the media during the protests, has not appeared anywhere until today.
- Lt. Col. Axes believes control the city does not suspect that all members of the Camp Muha are within the scope of Plan B while Col. Radio is not aware of Plan B. Both think they obey the orders of the chiefs of the army. Meanwhile, Brig Gen. DCA has already occupied the airport but it is on the side of Plan B.
- As of Wednesday night, when the radio was still occupied by the Presidential Guard (supporters of PLAN B), negotiations were initiated between the two camps. Nkurunziza camp demanded that putschists surrender without negotiations.
Indeed, the putschists had uncoordinated information and were not prepared to fight because no fighting was expected yet the Nkurunziza camp was prepared in advance, armed with strategic weapons and sufficient ammunition.
- It is at this level that Rema FM Radio was ransacked by unknown persons. The next day, it would be the turn of radio RPP, Bonesha and TL Renaissance which were burned by Imbonerakure militia and police.
- The confusion reached field officers who did not understand the speech made by Niyongabo.
In addition, one of the coup leaders, Major Fox, was told there would be a reinforcement under Nzabampema.
But there was no Nzabampema, it was another stunt by Imbonerakure militia supported by the Interahamwe that occupies Rukoko forests.
Rwanda’s interahamwe were dressed in Burundi military uniform to back the presidential guard if necessary and carry out any other night missions such as destroying the infrastructure of private radios and TVs.
- On Thursday, as talks failed, the coup leaders had no choice but take RTNB by force hence facing more than one battalion prepared in advance.
They failed. This was followed by the murder of causalities who were shot on Bumelec hospital beds by men dressed in police uniform. This was aimed at eliminating all witnesses.
- Radio Col responsible for attacking reinforcements at RTNB requested Major Fox, but there is a miscommunication.
- Lt-Col. Axes is told that the airport is well and truly in the hands of Nkurunziza loyalists, Camp MUHA the military no longer obeyed his orders, a rocket was fired by elements of Camp MUHA while the heavy weapons from the DCA had blocked his way to the airport.
- Noting the total confusion as to the reality on the ground, the leaders of the putsch decided to contact the CEA, Plan B commissioned by the President himself.
There was no question of seeking any regional reinforcement to support the coup, but it was about a plan b, try to negotiate with Niyongabo.
- A second assault is made on RTNB but is thwarted as well amid heavy fighting. Operating unprepared attacks in advance and in a spirit of confusion and discouragement, the putschists fail once again.
- Now, the main concern of the Chief Cyril Ndayirukiye is to ensure that Interahamwe supported Imbonerakure militias do not come into action against the population of the capital.
- On Wednesday night, we start talking about the arrival of the president. Nkurunziza’s arrival in the country was announced the next day and by then, the leaders of the putsch committee had already decided to surrender.
Gen. Maj. Cyrille Ndayirukiye, a renowned military strategist understood that if they resisted, the Burundian population, would be massacred.
- In exchange for their safe life, one required to pronounce: “We ran to excessive military resolve to support the system in power …” as published by an AFP journalist.
The same journalist reported that Nkurunziza had emerged victorious but in reality, far from being a victory, it was a conspiracy by Nkurunziza.
Maj-Gen. Godefroid Niyombare and other officers managed to flee until proven otherwise. If they manage to leave the country, they will testify.
Conclusions and recommendations
The Putsch was indeed prepared by the CNDD-FDD party without the support of political parties or civil society or any neighboring country.
A renown officer like Maj-Gen. Cyrille Ndayirukiye, would never have made the mistake of announcing a coup without the prior occupation of strategic locations and without the arrest of the pro-Nkurunziza key leaders.
And after seeing the diabolical malice of CNDD-FDD, he would have fought to the death if necessary but he sacrificed himself so the Burundian population is not massacred.
The General is not a traitor but a true martyr of the Burundian revolution. Remains to be seen if he will testify one day! For now, they will force Ndayirukiye and colleagues, by physical torture to sign confessions contrary to reality.
Also the silence of the Minister of Defence Lt-Gen. Pontian Gaciyubwenge and on the other hand repetitive speech Gen. Maj. Cyrille Ndayirukiye on RTNB to “confirm that the coup failed and advise the demonstrators not to return to the streets,” were forced confessions to save their lives.
We are all aware that all confessions signed in eyes of Burundian intelligence service are coerced confessions.
The rebel officers will denounce and give lists, as was the case of former Vice President Alphonse Marie Kadege when he signed forced confessions under torture. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjJVlk2En2Y;
One thing is sure and certain, if SSI Nkurunziza persists and is running for the third term, then welcome to the war in Burundi! President Nkurunziza has plunged Burundi into the cycle of war again.
That the international community does not think that Burundians will keep quit in the face of tyranny and oppression by the CNDD-FDD government.
Oddly, there are rumours that France is preparing to disembark heavy weapons or would have done!
If the April 94 of Rwanda scenario repeated itself!
“At the end we will remember not the words of our enemies but the silence of our friends,” Martin Luther King
Original title: COUP IN BURUNDI: Nkurunziza PUTSCH MONTE BY THE CAMP
Socio-political analysis by Colonel Didier NYAMBARIZA