Uganda Communication Commission (UCC) Executive Director Godfrey Mutabazi has asked Ugandans not test his limits by promoting the banned defiance campaign activities.
He sounded the warning on Thursday while addressing the press at the prime minister’s office in Kampala.
Information minister Jim Muhwezi on the same briefing said cabinet had banned all live coverage and broadcast of defiance campaign activities organised by Dr Kizza Besigye.
According to minister Muhwezi, continuation of this so-called “defiance campaign” is illegal because it is in clear breach of the Interim Court Order issued last week.
Dr. Besigye himself has asserted that his defiance is intended to fail the swearing-in of Uganda’s President-elect, H.E. Y.K. Museveni.
“This goes against the will of the majority of our electorate who voted for H.E. Y.K. Museveni. Such action also violates the recent Supreme Court ruling which re-affirmed H.E. Y.K. Museveni as the duly elected President of Uganda.”
“Any media houses that continue offering live coverage of the so-called “Defiance Campaign” risk having their broadcasting licenses revoked,” Muhwezi warned.
Mutabazi said while the ban doesn’t extend to social media, users are warned against misusing the platforms.
He warned that if the defiance campaign goes to social media, government will take action.
“We constantly communicate with Facebook and Twitter. We can shut down social media platforms if we have to,” Mutabazi said.
According to Mutabazi, government has an open relationship with Facebook and Twitter and they can quickly deal with defiant accounts.
“If you cover it [defiance activities] on social media, we will take action. Do not push us.”
During the February 2016 elections, UCC shutdown all social media platforms and mobile money services for “security reasons”.
Speaking on the ban, President Yoweri Museveni said government was capable of doing worse if opposition doesn’t cease inciting the public into criminal activities.