On the semi-autonomous archipelago of Zanzibar, the announcement of the election was temporarily suspended after soldiers stormed the collation centre, eventually evicting journalists and observers.
The opposition Ukawa coalition on Zanzibar had already expressed concerns about the results announced so far.
Residents on the islands also voted for their own president and members of the Zanzibar parliament on Sunday.
About 70 armed soldiers invaded the compound of the electoral commission and locked journalists, local and international observers inside the main hall.
Officials also stopped announcing results.
The soldiers ordered all of us to stay where we were and when I tried to ask them why, they told me not to approach them or question them.
After more than three hours, they allowed us to leave the electoral commission premises and told us not to come back until further notice.
Electoral officials reconvened and decided to postpone any further announcements until Wednesday.
CUF, one of four parties which make up Ukawa, accused the Zanzibar electoral commission of only releasing results from constituencies where the CMM candidate won.
On Monday, Ukawa candidate Seif Sharif Hamad declared himself the winner of the Zanzibari presidential poll.
Correspondents say tension has been rising on the islands ahead of the final results.
Previous elections have turned violent on Zanzibar, which is made up of the islands of Unguja and Pemba and is a popular with tourists.