Police spokesperson Fred Enanga has admitted that they have no evidence to pin those who shot dead state prosecutor Joan Kagezi last year.
Enanga however maintained that the Kagezi murder file is still very much open.
“Our teams are pursuing a number of leads.”
He said six people were arrested but later freed after eyewitnesses failed to pin them.
Jane Kajuga, the spokesperson of the Directorate of Public Prosecution, told URN they returned the file to police after realising there was no evidence warranting prosecution of the suspects.
“So far, evidence is inconclusive but police is following up on some promising leads. The file that police sent for perusal has been sent back for the third time because there was no evidence in it that can warrant a prosecution,” Kajuga told URN.
Kagezi was gunned down by two assassins in Kiwatule in Kampala on March 30, 2015 on her way home.
She was shot by the assassins riding on a motorcycle as she stopped by a roadside stall to pick up some fruits.
Police picked up eight suspects from Kyengera and Najera in Kampala and Bugiri district in connection to the murder.
Not long ago, Police chief Kale Kayihura claimed the suspects were ready for prosecution.
Kagezi was in charge of the International Crime Division handling international crimes such as terrorism, war crimes, and trafficking in persons.
By the time Kagezi was killed, she was the lead prosecutor in the trial of the 2010 Kampala bomb terror suspects.
She was, also working with Police in the prosecution of suspects accused of masterminding murders and robberies in Busoga region and Kampala.