Opposition FDC spokesperson, Ssemujju Nganda, says President Yoweri Museveni refused to debate with Kizza Besigye for fear that the country would further see the latter’s potential.
Hon Semujju was on Monday discussing the presidential TV debate [which now hangs in balance] alongside Hon Mike Sebalu, the NRM taskforce spokesperson, on NBS TV.
“We were ready to participate in the debate,” Nganda said, adding, “FDC was ready to cancel some campaigns on January 15.”
He said President Museveni previously assured the organisers of the debate that he would be available on January 15 only to turn around and go against his word.
“The presidential debate was an opportunity for us to hold Museveni accountable for the 30 years he has been in power.”
Without Museveni, Nganda argued, there would be no debate.
He said all the seven candidates shared same stand: “that Museveni has failed this country”.
Nganda said the debate was about someone who has been running the country and those who want him out.
“Dr Besigye, as a candidate, is as busy as Museveni but he was ready to cancel rallies to attend.”
Nganda said he can represent Besigye but the debate is between candidates, not representatives.
“Museveni treats this country like his estate.”
“President Museveni is deliberately skipping debate because he fears Ugandans will further see Besigye potential.”
Nganda said one can lie to others but not to oneself.
“Mr Museveni is afraid of showing up at the debate,” he noted, emphasising that they were ready to wait until Museveni is available.
“We have seen Museveni change his schedule previously. We are ready to wait till he is available.”
He said speaking on behalf of Museveni can be embarrassing because “once he says he is available, next, says he is busy”.