South Sudan national Television (SSTV) or South Sudan Broadcasting Corporation (SSBC) has been off air since Monday June 6, 2016.
The state-run public television station is headquartered in the capital Juba, Central Equatoria State.
According to management, SSTV needs $200,000 to purchase new devices (no specifics) to replace damaged ones.
There is no money for that as there is no money to pay to the Arabsat satellite service provider to continue to broadcast SSBC service through out the hired satellite channel, thus resulting to suspension of the service.
So far South Sudan is the only independent, sovereign country in the world which has no any TV service, be it national (state-owned) or private.
“We hope there is no foul play in this TV-less kind of situation,” said James Gatdet Dak, Press Secretary Office of the FVP, Chairman and C-in-C of SPLM/SPLA (IO).
Meanwhile, Dak dismissed a document published by The New York Times allegedly authored by South Sudan’s President, H.E. Salva Kiir, and the First Vice President, H.E. Dr. Riek Machar.
The document which Dak called “irresponsible and falsified” says the two leaders will scrap justice and accountability mechanism from the August 2015 peace agreement.
“The First Vice President and SPLM/SPLA (IO) leadership in general disown that concocted document. Someone somewhere should voluntarily confess that he or she concocted the document and falsely put the names of the two leaders on it as co-authors,” Dak said.
He said SPLM/SPLA (IO) committed itself to bringing to justice those responsible for the crimes committed from 15 December, 2013.
“It also commits itself to truth, reconciliation and healing among the people of South Sudan. These two are stipulated in the peace agreement. Justice and accountability on one hand and truth, reconciliation and healing on the other.”