“If there is someone with an ego, it’s Kizza Besigye,” states Hon. Mike Sebalu, NRM Taskforce spokesman.
Sebalu says with that ego, if Besigye makes it to State House, he doesn’t not know how it will be.
Sebalu was denying any knowledge of talk that President Museveni previously agreed to attend the January 15, 2015 presidential TV debate.
“If anyone has an ego problem, it is Dr Besigye, not Museveni,” Sebalu said while appearing on NBS TV on Monday.
Sebalu explained that Museveni has a busy campaign schedule but was not afraid of the debate as FDC claims.
“Mobilisation has already started in these districts, we can’t just change. NRM has money to buy airtime on TV but now, we have a campaign schedule which is priority.”
Sebalu said the problem is that people interpret President Museveni’s comments out of context.
“When he uses proverbs or parables, Mr Museveni always makes his statements in context.”
Sebalu said as of January 15, the NRM chooses to keep the promise of holding rallies in Bushenyi and Mitooma districts.
He concluded that those choosing to take time off their campaign schedules to attend the debate are confused.
Sebalu maintained that NRM’s Museveni would consider participating in the debate on another day “if time allows”.
He also revealed that President Museveni will not be represented at the debate as per organisers’ rules.
“I don’t know why people are getting excited about this,” Sebalu pointed out, saying President Museveni has a right to choose on which platform to engage Ugandans and in this capacity, he chooses rallies.
“On that day (Jan. 15), we have 3 rallies. During this period, what can be more important than rallies?”