Go Forward presidential candidate, Amama Mbabazi’s petition faces a withdrawal after thugs breaking into his lawyers offices and stealing legal documents.
A source inside the camp told us all the documents relating to the petition filed in Supreme Court last week were stolen in a Tuesday night break-in.
“They are contemplating withdrawing the petition since almost all witness statements and affidavits had been stolen,” the source said.
The lawyers say it was police that raided Muhammad Mbabazi’s office located at Buganda Road and Fred Muwema’s office located at Acacia Avenue in Kampala and stole files as well as laptops.
The security guard on duty identified as Simon Okello was badly beaten and hospitalised.
On Monday, Chief Justice Bart Katureebe directed Mbabazi’s lawyers to submit affidavits for their amended petition tomorrow, Thursday.
The NRM, electoral commission and attorney general’s lawyers would then file their defence before Sunday so the hearing of the petition can kick off on Monday March 14.
On Wednesday afternoon, Mbabazi visited his lawyers’ offices, which were cordoned off by police.
He held a crisis meeting with the lawyers to forge a way forward.
Meanwhile, five police detectives were denied access to the premises Muhammad Mbabazi’s offices along Buganda road.
Speaking to press, Fred Muwema, said detectives accessed his office, took a few pictures and drew some sketches.
“It appears the attackers were targeting material concerning.”
He said the incident is a big setback since they are limited by time.
“Whoever has done this is not ready for the petition.”
Fred Muwema says they are going to discuss the way forward with the available information they are left with.
“They didn’t take all the documents, but they took most of the documents. We are going to meet with other lawyers and see what to do.”
Muwema asked peace-loving Ugandans to condemn this act to the fullest.