Health & Fitness

Parliament Commended on Breast-Feeding Centre


Officials from Ministry of health have today, Monday, 1st August, 2016 commended Parliament for establishing a Breast Feeding Centre.

This was during a visiting session at the Breast Feeding Centre of Parliament by Ministry of Health officials in commemoration of the World Breast Feeding Week.

The Head of Nutrition, Ministry of Health, Dr. Jacent Asiimwe said they had come to see how the facility operates and to also adopt the idea in other working environments.

“This activity is to commemorate the World Breast Feeding Week and to see how Parliament has effectively adopted to the use of the centre,” she said.

Dr. Asiimwe pointed out that 63% of working women only breast feed their babies up to the period of 6 months, leaving 37% of them surviving on infant formula.

“The Majority of the hospitals look at infant formula for mothers. This should only act as a last resort,” she added.

Hon. Cecilia Ogwal, Woman MP for Dokolo District and a Parliamentary Commissioner said the centre has helped in curbing the ongoing brutality of children by house maids.


She however urged male Members of Parliament to also make use of the facility and their services.


The Speaker of Parliament, Rt. Hon. Rebecca Kadaga pledged to take a resolution to Parliament of ensuring that all employers establish a day care facility for its members of staff.

“We must take a resolution for all work places to have a breast feeding centre and I hope other employers can follow the same example like ours,” she said.

Dr. Asiimwe however urged the Speaker to advocate for the increase of maternity days from 60 to 90 days as per the International Labour Law.

World Breast Feeding week is an annual celebration that is held from 1st to 7th August in more than 120 countries to emulate on the development goal of improving maternal health.

This year’s theme is Breastfeeding: A key to Sustainable Development World Breastfeeding Week

Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda.
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top