Ugandans troops are returning to the South Sudan capital Juba to evacuate traders.
This was revealed on Tuesday by the army spokesman Lt Col Paddy Ankunda.
“UPDF to facilitate safe evacuation of Ugandans in Nisitu, East of River Nile South Sudan by road,” Ankunda said.
Government spokesman Ofwono Opondo confirmed the development saying President Yoweri Museveni had ordered the evacuation of Ugandans by road.
Ankunda, however, clarified that UPDF will not deploy in Juba.
“(Only) few troops to secure movement of evacuated civilians,” he said.
In December 2013, UPDF entered Juba and secured key installations facilitating the evacuation of foreigners.
It later took part in combat actions against rebels allied to first vice president Riek Machar.
Ugandan troops then pulled out following the August 2015 peace agreement.
UPDF’s return to Juba now comes after five Ugandan businessmen were on Monday evening killed in an ambush following continued clashes between forces loyal to South Sudan President Salva Kiir and those of his deputy Riek Machar.
This brings to seven the total number of Ugandans who have so far died in the clashes that broke out last Friday in the youngest African nation.
Several Ugandans are still trapped in Juba following the clashes.
The attack on Ugandans happened just hours after President Kiir who is reportedly in South Africa declared a cease fire of the warring parties.
Kiir called on commanders of the warring parties to lay down their guns and call a truce.
Meanwhile, the clashes are a serious setback to peace deal that Kiir and Machar signed following pressures from the western countries.
UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon yesterday said an arms embargo be imposed on the South Sudan to avert further killings.