President Yoweri Museveni has asked about the fate and concerns of children and relatives of believers who were burned to death in the Kanungu massacre of 2000.
Believers of “Movement for the Restoration of the 10 Commandments” headed by Joseph Kibwetere locked themselves up in a cult Kanungu church and set themselves ablaze on March 17, 2000.
The inferno claimed atleast 1,000 people most of whom were children.
According to Daily Monitor, preliminary investigations by the police at the time indicated that the killings were well planned by the cult leaders after it apparently became clear that the world was not going to come to an end at the turn of millennium.
For instance on March 24, two mass graves containing 153 bodies were found at a cult compound in Kalingo, 45 km to the west of Kanungu.
Some had been dead for more than four months.
Days later, 155 bodies were discovered under a newly-cemented floor in the house of cult leader ‘Father’ Dominic Kataribabo in Rugazi, 80 km north of Kanungu.
Speaking at a rally in Rukungiri town, Museveni showed concern about the fate of the survivors who he seeks to help.
“I have also directed the Prime Minister [Ruhakana Rugunda] to follow up on the concerns of the children and relatives of the Kibwetere inferno,” Museveni told the crowd that had gathered to listen to him.
In Kihihi Town Council in Kinkizi West where presidential candidate, Amama Mbabazi, hails from, Museveni was showered with several gifts.
He, in turn, promised to tarmac the Rukungiri-Ishasha-Kihihi-Kanungu road at Shs200bn.
“The contract will be signed this month. We shall also work on the Kanungu-Nyakishenyi, Ishasha-Katunguru, Kanungu-Kambuga roads,” he said.
The president said his government also plans to develop the iron ore factory at Butogota, which will fetch $550m annually.
He further held rallies in Rubabo, Rujumbura and Rukunguri Municipality.
Today, the president will hold four rallies in Ntungamo District; Kajara, Rushenyi, Ruhaama and Ntungamo Municipality.