President Yoweri Museveni has explained why the national army has not yet retired detained Gen David Sejusa.
“The army can’t offload a troublemaker unto society to cause trouble,” he told press Friday at his country home in Rwakitura.
“They first process him until he is reformed,” the president explained.
Sejusa rushed to exile in UK in 2013 after authoring a document exposing an alleged plot to assassinate top officials and army generals who were opposed to “Muhoozi project”.
He alleged that the president was grooming his son, Brig Muhoozi Kainerugaba, the commander of Special Forces, to replace him as president.
Sejusa returned from exile in 2014 and reportedly reconciled with Museveni.
He later told press that Museveni had agreed to retire him.
However, by 2015, the army had not yet retired Sejusa.
In November last year, Sejusa dragged the army Commissions and Promotions Board to the High Court for refusing to retire him from the military following his application filed on December 30, 2014.
In his application filed before Kampala High Court, Sejusa asked court to declare that he ceased to be a Uganda People’s Defence Force (UPDF) officer on April 8, 2015 when he applied to retire.
In his suit, Sejusa explained that the refusal to pay him his salary, withdrawal of his uniforms, housing and transport allowances and guns among others amount to ‘constructive discharge’ from UPDF.
He wanted court to order the UPDF Commission and the Attorney General (AG), the second respondent to the suit, to hand him his a discharge certificate as a sign that he has retired from the army.
Sejusa who fought in the Luweero bush and has served the military for 34 years, cited General Yoweri Museveni, Major Gen Jim Muhwezi, Major General Benon Biraro, Lieutenant General Benon Tumukunde, Major General Kahinda Otafiire and Major Gen Mugisha Muntu, among others as some of his comrades who have retired from the army.
He said some top army officers had frustrated his efforts to retire from the army despite a directive from President Museveni, also the commander in chief of the armed forces, to retire him when they met on January 3, 2015, at Entebbe State House.
Museveni said today that it wasn’t him responsible for Sejusa’s retirement.
“Why am I denying Gen. Sejusa retirement? It’s not me. It’s the board of the army who make the decisions.”
“If someone is misbehaving inside the army, impunity, why then should we offload impunity onto the population?” the president wondered.
He said Sejusa will eventually leave the army but it’s not correct to offload onto society someone who has shown signs of bad conduct.
“If you are a trouble maker, why should the army offload you onto society?”