Mulago blocks media, hides victims of military onslaught


Mulago Hospital National Referral Hospital authorities Tuesday denied media access to casualties who were injured in city clashes between military and opposition supporters.

Many were injured while Police clashed with supporters of Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) presidential candidate Dr Kizza Besigye in Wandegeya on Monday.

The scuffle left one person [Elias Kwesiga] dead.

The injured were all rushed to Mulago hospital for treatment.

However, on Tuesday, the hospital spokesperson, Enock Kusasira, denied media access to the casualties citing the need for privacy.

He said many had been injured but three of them critically; a one Tony Musasizi, Robert Kyeyune and Hussein Bukenya.

The trio was injured as military police fired live bullets at crowds in Wandegeya.

Police Spokesperson Fred Enanga said a total of 19 persons including one female police officer were injured during the chaos but 16 had been discharged.

The Center for Health, Human Rights and Development (Cehurd) executive director, Moses Mulumba, wants the hospital administration should spell out the legal regime for the media to access the hospital during operational hours.

“There is one situation where a patient has asked not to be seen by the media which should be respected as their right to privacy but there is another where a patient has not stopped the media and the hospital should have something to show that,” Mulumba.

“There should be clear regulations to strike a balance between right to privacy and access to information.”


Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda. info@theinsider.ug
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top