South Sudan’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation said on Thursday it decided to apply new immigration procedures to all personnel of the UN mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) entering the country.
In a statement quoted by Radio Tamazuj, the ministry said the UN mission is required to submit names of all its personnel arriving in South Sudan three working days before arrival date for verification.
According to the government, only passengers that have been notified to the ministry will be permitted to proceed through immigration and enter the country.
The new procedures apply to all UNMISS personnel arriving by both UN and commercial flights.
The ministry’s undersecretary Amb. Joseph Ayok Anei announced that the Directorate of Nationality, Passport and Immigration will no longer grant visas on arrivals at Juba International Airport.
The ministry reaffirm its cooperation with the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS).
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Thursday called for an arms embargo and sanctions to be imposed on South Sudan, but the council has yet to endorse his call.
The United States on Thursday circulated a draft resolution to the council extending the mandate of the UN mission in South Sudan known as UNMISS until August 8.
That would allow more time for discussions on a separate resolution imposing an arms embargo, sanctions and setting up a regional force to stabilize Juba, diplomats said.
Ban also reportedly said Kiir’s sacking of first vice president Riek Machar and replacing him with Taban Deng would lead to new confrontations.
African leaders earlier this month approved a plan to deploy a regional protection force to South Sudan and have asked the Security Council to authorize a robust mandate for that intervention brigade.