President Salva Kiir has rejected some provisions in the Compromise Agreement proposed by IGAD Plus.
He said US President Barrack Obama’s statement asking the two leaders to sign an agreement next month will not lead to lasting peace.
In power sharing, the proposal suggests that the SPLM in Opposition takes 53 percent of the government positions in the three states affected by the conflict during the transitional period.
The government would take 33 percent while 14 percent would be for the group previously known as the Former Political Detainees and other political parties.
But at the national level, the government would take 53 percent, 33 for the SPLM-IO and 14 for the FPD.
President Kiir said giving the SPLM in Opposition larger percentage of power sharing in the Upper Nile region is meant to divide the county.
“Those who made this idea don’t want peace to come to South Sudan,” the president said in a speech marking the martyrs’ day in Juba.
“Just take it from there. There will be no peace because the minority that will find itself in Upper Nile there, they will continue to fight for their rights,” he said.
He called on the members of the international community “continue to dialogue for the sake of the people that we all want to serve.”
“I am confident that through meaningful and honest interactions, we can work together to find solutions that will both support the citizens of South Sudan and expedite the peace process,” he said.
Kiir’s remarks are similar to those made by his army chief of general staff, Gen Paul Malong Awan.
“We are not going to discard and victimize the sons of Upper Nile who have remained defending the constitution,” Gen Malong argued in a speech marking the Red Army Day on Wednesday.
The government officials whose positions are at stake are: Unity State Governor Nguen Monytuil, Simon Kun Puoch of Upper Nile state and John Koang, Jonglei.
The move would also affect SPLA division commanders based in the three states.
“We are not going to accept to replace Stephen Buay, who has resisted in division one, and then Nhial, Batong, Pul Jang, and two sector commanders: Gong Biliu and Chathath Lam. We will not replace them with those who have rebelled,” he added.
But US special envoy for South Sudan and Sudan, Donald Booth, says the proposal is a good chance for South Sudanese leaders to make peace.
“We fully support this compromise proposal that has been put on the table. As I said if it can be improved upon by the South Sudanese parties, we will also support that,” Ambassador Donald Booth told a press conference in Juba.
“But otherwise, we expect that there will be an agreement by the 17th of August,” he said.
“Frankly I want to be honest with all of you. Patience of my country, of the region and of other international partners has run out. Too many lives have been lost … the talks cannot continue without end. South Sudan’s leaders on both sides must act to spare their people from this suffering. This situation cannot go on any longer.”
The warring parties are expected in Addis Ababa in the first week of next month to discuss the proposal.