Kenya evacuating citizens from S.Africa


Amina Mohamed, Cabinet Secretary for Foreign Affairs of Kenya


The government of Kenya has decided to evacuate its citizens from South Africa where blacks from other countries are being killed in xenophobic attacks.

Foreign Affairs Minister, Amina Mohamed, told Nation FM on Thursday that so far there were no Kenyan casualties in the attacks that have caused uproar.

She said Kenyans living in affected areas had voluntarily moved to makeshift camps provided for victims.

“We have planned for an evacuation but some of the Kenyans have actually voluntarily moved to a camp but not in large numbers, but that could increase,” she was quoted as saying.

She emphasised that Kenya was deeply concerned about the attacks that have already cost about six lives.

“This is not the first time it has happened. This is the second time. We have always managed to provide protection,” she explained.

In 2008, Kenyans living in South Africa were asked to report to the Kenyan embassy after xenophobic attacks broke out.

The attacks left about 62 people dead in Soweto town near the Johannesburg.

The attacks are allegedly being fuelled by President Jacob Zuma’s son, Edward Zuma, who thinks money spent on immigrants in camps is a waste of resources.

In his speech to Parliament, Zuma promised to handle the situation and called for calm.

However, Malawi has already pulled out its citizens and promised to work with African Union and SADC to deal with South Africans.



Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda.
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top