State House has rejected a tale being spread by Masaka Municipality Member of Parliament (MP) Mathias Mpuuga, claiming that the First Lady Janet Kataaha Museveni’s convoy knocked and killed a pupil.
Mpuuga named the first victim as Teddy Muzaaki, a P.6 pupil of primary in in Makerere Kivvulu neighbourhood.
The family claims that she was knocked dead last evening by the convoy of the First Lady at Kalerwe, together with another female friend, the convoy was driving on the wrong side of the one-way.
Mpuuga named the second victim as a one Nampala who reportedly left behind a little girl.
“The two died on the spot and no attempt to help the bereaved families so far, even after contacting police,” Mpuuga said on social media.
Police, State House exclaim
During a weekly press briefing, Uganda’s police spokesperson Andrew Kaweesi, confirmed the death of the victims heaping blame on joyous Cranes supporters.
“There were two accidents after the Uganda Cranes match at Namboole on Sunday. The first accident happened at 7:30pm where two teenagers were knocked dead by a speeding car at Kalerwe,” Kaweesi said at a press briefing.
According to Kaweesi, the second accident happened at around 9pm claiming the life of a 50-year-old man.
The deceased were identified as Isma Kinubi, Esther Namyala 17 and Teddy Namalwa 13.
But none involved the cars of in the First Lady’s convoy.
When contacted on phone, President Yoweri Museveni’s Senior Press Secretary, Don Wanyama, also dismissed Mpuuga’s claims saying the First Lady’s convoy had already passed Kalerwe when the accident happened.
“Mpuuga is using the incident to politick just. The First Lady’s convoy did not knock anyone,” Don explained.