ISO chief who tried to assassinate Museveni tortured


Musisi now wants compensation from police

An Internal Security Organisation (ISO) officer is currently on a sickbed after being tortured by security agents over a plot to assassinate President Yoweri Museveni.

Lt Godfrey Musisi who now works as a Covert Operative in the office of the ISO Director General Brig Ronnie Balya was arrested on June 3 by officers of the Uganda Police Flying Squad on allegations of trying to murder the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) Executive Director, Dr. Kenneth Ofosu-Barko.

Picked from his Namugongo home in Wakiso district, Musisi was first rushed to Kira Road police station where he was detained.

He is also accused of giving out a pistol to a city robber who was arrested in action and confessed.

At the start of June 2016, Musisi was brought back home, his house search and then transferred to Jinja Road police station.

He was reportedly tortured for eight straight days with metals and car tires.

He was released at the intervention of Maj Gen Matayo Kyaligonza.

He was removed from Mulago National Referral Hospital for fear of being harmed and is now being treated at a private hospital.

“When they arrested me, I was pushed onto a wall and they asked me to handle over the magazines. The arresting officer tried to shoot me,” he said.

Police spokesperson Fred Enanga said the police were only trying to subdue Musisi when he tried to resist arrest but had not intentions of shooting him.

Enanga accused Musisi frmaing Major Herbert Muramagi, then head of Marine at ISO, in 2014 for trying to poison senior security officers and prominent politicians.

Maj Muramagi was arrested, tried but later acquitted by the late and former Chairman of the General Court Martial Maj Gen Levi Karuhanga.

Assassination accusation

Musisi was arrested in 2004 for allegedly trying to assassinate President Museveni at the former International Conference Center complex, now Kampala Serena hotel.

In September 2005, he was arraigned before a seven-member panel at the First Division Court Martial presided by the then Maj Willy Ndinda.

He was charged with three counts of treason, terrorism and conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline.

He was also charged with unlawfully penetrating the inner defence ring of the then Presidential Guard Brigade (PGB) with a gun.

Prosecution presented three witnesses including Brig Elly Kayanja, who was then ISO director.

The other two state witnesses, the then Director of Operations Lt Herbert Mugarura and Lt Musa Makubuya, the then head of terrorism/crime, testified against Musisi.

The UPDF First Division Court Martial subsequently sentenced him to 10 years in prison.

In 2010, Museveni pardoned him and reinstated the operative to his job.

Police accused him of allegedly hiding a pistol magazine after police had netted his former staff, a one Cluster Mutebi.

Musisi, whose hands are now swollen and oozing pus, has served the president for 14 years.

In 2013, he was arrested allegedly for planting a bomb in a neighbour’s residence but later released.

Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda.
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top