South Sudan powerful Gen Peter Gadet claims to have sunk, destroyed and capture SPLA military barges in Upper Nile State.
Gadet who broke away from Riek Machar with Gen Gathoth Gatkouth has since rejected a peace deal signed between President Salva Kiir and the rebel leader.
Gadet has since formed his own faction called “South Sudan Armed Forces (SSAF)”.
Early in the week, government troops clashed with rebel forces at Tonga in western Upper Nile state after SPLA ferried barges to different states including Unity and Jonglei.
Rebels who claim to have been fighting in “self-defense” allegedly sunk SPLA barges and captured others.
A spokesman for General Peter Gadet’s group, Col. Lony Thichiot Ngundeng, told Radio Tamazuj athat id that their forces attacked the barges commanded by Brig-Gen. Gabriel Tang Ginye, his second in command in Zeraf River, Brig. Gabriel Puok Ngunoak, Brig. Obach Jago, Brig. John Kuol Kher, and Col. James Nuoat Puot.
Lony said their attack was prompted by attacks carried out from the barges against innocent fishermen further upstream.
“They started random bombardment and shooting of innocent Nuer people in Panyijar County – Tangyaar and Adok including killing of all Nuer fishermen around the Nile shore.”
He said their forces launched defensive attack against government incursion in Nuer areas between Wathkech and Tonga, two barges on government side were destroyed.
One steamer was also captured while other boats were lost in the wilderness and sank.
The speaker of the South Sudan parliament, Manasse Magok Rundial, says the legislature will soon ratify the peace agreement President Salva Kiir and Machar signed last month.
“The peace agreement which was signed by our president, we will sign as soon as we leave from here, we ratify it,” Magok is quoted by Eye radio as telling the fourth conference of the world speakers in New York.
“As soon as they finish, we will embark on the development, we will support the peace and we will go with it, we embark on training and so forth,” he said.
Honorable Magok says the reservations President Kiir expressed during the signing of the deal were not an opposition to the agreement.
“The reservations intended here, it does not mean that he is opposing, but these reservations are to be addressed,” he said.
“People have to want to talk and they will have to treat such reservations. If they are so harsh for the people, they will be address accordingly.”
The Office of the President has meanwhile called on the international community to develop a mechanism to determine who is violating the ceasefire the government and the SPLM in Opposition declared last week.
Clashes have been reported in Upper Nile, Jonglei and Unity State since the ceasefire came into force on Saturday.
The US government has threatened further UN sanctions if both sides fail to fully implement the peace agreement.
Six military generals from the two warring parties have already been sanctioned by the UN Security Council for their role in the conflict.
Presidential press secretary Ateny Wek Ateny told Eye radio the proper role that the international community should play on this is to devise a very strong mechanism that will determine who, at what time and where is violating the cease fire.
“It will not be enough to say both sides all the times and I don’t think there is any reason for anybody to be doing this,” he told Eye Radio.
AU team in Juba
Meanwhile, a team from the African Union headed by former Malian President, Alpha Omar Konare, is already in Juba to follow up on the implementation of the peace agreement, according to the office of the President.