Don Wanyama, the newly promoted Senior Presidential Press Secretary, has warned FDC party president Mugisha Muntu to beware.
According to him, the sole executive of the FDC party is a Kizza Besigye executive.
The Forum for Democratic Change (FDC), founded on 16 December 2004, is the main opposition party in Uganda after Besigye’s exile in United States and South Africa.
FDC was founded as an umbrella body called Reform Agenda, mostly for disenchanted former members and followers of President Yoweri Museveni’s National Resistance Movement including the late Eriya Kategeya.
When Museveni arrested Besigye over treason charges, FDC’s popularity swore in urban areas like the capital city, Kampala.
The party eclipsed the traditional opposition parties like the Uganda People’s Congress and the Democratic Party.
For some time, critics have accused Besigye of monopolising the party and always “fighting” to be its presidential candidate.
Last year, Besigye beat Muntu to the position of party flag bearer in an election held at Namboole stadium.
Muntu never contested the poll but urged members to unite behind Besigye.
But now, Don is advising Muntu needs to consider his options.
He was Friday discussing the week’s major stories alongside NBS TV journalists; Sabiti Joseph and Solomon Serwanjja.
Sabiti also noted that FDC was making the same mistake they accuse the ruling party NRM of.
“…saying there is no FDC without Kizza Besigye” like opposition says “there is no NRM without President Yoweri Museveni”.
According to the journalist, a party is and should be bigger than individuals.
However, we recall that Besigye opted to stand down from FDC presidency giving room for others like Muntu to lead the party.
He allowed an early internal FDC election for a successor president, which took place on 24 November 2012.
Meanwhile, Don also spoke on the treason charges brought against Kizza Besigye.
He said the last time Besigye was tried for treason in 2005; it was never followed by a trial but execution.
“We have rule of law today,” Don argued.
To the contrary Yusuf Nsibambi, one of Besigye’s lawyers, said he could not represent him in court because whatever is going on is an illegality.
He said he cannot take part because that would amount to him regularising the illegality.
Nsibambi told Daily Monitor the illegality started with the charge sheet itself, which he said is defective because it was not sanctioned by the Director of Public Prosecutions.
He said the DPP’s approval is a legal requirement especially in such capital offences.
According to the charge sheet, it was sanctioned by a police officer, detective senior superintendent, Mr Mark Odong on May 13.
“Participating in this case would mean regularising an illegality. They should handle this case in a regular manner. The charge sheet must be signed by the DPP and this very one is signed by a police officer, making it defective. The charge sheet in Nakawa, is it a new one or the very old one he was charged on in Moroto court? So what happens to the Moroto charge sheet? This is not only a mockery but a scandal,” the lawyer told the newspaper.
He said Besigye’s case is now between the Judiciary and the State prosecution because they have not involved them as defence lawyers.
“As lawyers, we are not angels to speculate on which court Dr Besigye is going to appear next. There is no way we would have appeared before court to represent him when we were not informed. We are not a fire brigade to extinguish fire and thereafter make a report on what caused it.”