The opposition party Forum for Democratic Change (FDC) has named Hon. Winnie Kiiza as the new leader of opposition in Parliament.
Winnie was picked by FDC president Mugisha Muntu Thursday to replace Hon Wafula Oguttu who served as 9th Parliament Leader of the Opposition (LoP).
This comes after days of disagreements and divisions within the party by some members who think the rescue of Kizza Besigye from Luzira prisons is more important that having a leader of opposition.
The choice of a Shadow Cabinet suggests that FDC has accepted defeat in the 2016 general elections.
Under the multi-party system of governance, the function of the leader of the opposition is as vital as that of the leader of government business.
Since the inception of multiparty system of governance in the 8th parliament, Prof Ogenga Latigo was the first leader of opposition, followed by Nandala Mafabi in the ninth parliament and Wafula Oguttu.
Regional balance in the appointment of the leader of opposition is also put into consideration when picking the LoP.
Its the leader of opposition who will appoint chairpersons of the four oversight committees in parliament.
In a series of tweets on Sunday, Oxfam boss Winnie Byanyima campaigned for Kasese Woman MP saying she is the right person for the job.
“Winnie Kizza would be an effective Leader of Opposition. I hope FDC will endorse her,” Byanyima said.
She agreed Cecilia Ogwal is good too and that it is time for a woman to lead opposition in parliament.
Seven reasons why Winnie backed namesake:
1) Winnie Kiiza is a long serving politician who cut her teeth at local government level in early 90s and won the trust of her people.
2) During the violent 2001 elections, Winnie Kizza set up and led 1st Reform Agenda (opposition) teams in Kasese District, on the only western seats.
3) Winnie Kizza has been a consistent, principled, responsive & caring leader, respected & loved in all of Kasese district.
4) Winnie Kiiza has against violent repression, held Kasese district as an opposition stronghold. She is courageous and passionate about justice.
5) Winnie Kizza is an authentic and smart champion of women’s rights and rights of marginalised groups. She walks the talk. She is tested.
6) Winnie Kizza is an experienced legislator having risen from the opposition back benches to successfully serve in key roles including whip.
7) Winnie Kiiza has solid values of social justice and equality. A great mum to her kids and partner to Bihande her spouse, she is a role model for our girls.