Kampala Lord Mayor, Erias Lukwago, has urged President Yoweri Museveni not to avoid the second presidential live TV debate as he did on January 15, 2016.
The debate will be moderated by Voice of America and Straight Talk Africa host, Shaka Ssali, and KTN news anchor, Nancy Kacungira.
It is scheduled for February 13, 2016, according to the chairman organising committee, Justice James Ogoola.
NRM taskforce deputy spokesperson, Mary Mutesi, says the president is too busy to attend the second debate, a similar reason given during the first debate.
This same claim was affirmed by ICT minister, Hon. Nyombi Thembo, while appearing on NBS TV last week.
“I didn’t know there was going to be a second debate. We don’t have any free day,” Nyombi said.
“I don’t think my candidate will have time for this second debate which I am only hearing about now.”
Lukwago on the other hand, insisted President Museveni will be around Kampala on Feb 13, and that the debate starts at 8pm.
“It is disturbing that NRM claims President Museveni will not have time for 2nd debate.”
Lukwago said if President Museveni chooses not to attend the second debate on foreign policy, it will not serve its purpose.