Inside DRC

Congo rebels kidnap Ugandans as UN cuts aid


Congo army holding a suspected rebel

Four men and three women were kidnapped on Tuesday while digging in a hired land across border in Congo.

The land found in Bazamanza is owned by a Congolese civil servant.

Ugandan farmers are believed to have been kidnapped by Congo rebels hiding in the dark jungles.

Those identified are; Gadi Tweheyo, Tindiwegi, Son of Rukusho and other unknown persons from Rukarara cell Nyanga Kanungu District.

Kidnappers are demanding for Shs 10m for their release.

The women were later released women at 10pm in the night and given demands for the release of the men.

Authorities are yet to speak on the incident.

UN cuts aid to ex-Congo rebels

Meanwile, Reuters reports that U.N. peacekeepers on Wednesday announced a cut in rations for 6,800 ex-rebels and their families in government camps in the Democratic Republic of Congo, blaming a shortage of funds and calling for the state to step in.

The U.N. mission there also said some of the adults and children had been ordered to stay in the camps by rebel leaders trying to keep up a presence in the region – and the aid cut might push the commanders to let the people go home.

The announcement underlined the plight of the thousands of former fighters and their dependants stuck in often dire conditions in demobilization camps for years amid a string of conflicts.

Last October, U.S.-based Human Rights Watch said more than 100 people had died from starvation and disease in one camp because of government neglect.

The U.N. Peacekeeping Mission in the country, MONUSCO, said on Wednesday it did not have the funds to keep feeding the inhabitants, and something needed to be done to resolve the festering problem and get the ex-fighters back home.

“We don’t have the money,” mission head Martin Kobler told a news conference in the capital Kinshasa. “This costs us $2 million per month. It’s not our task. It’s not our obligation. The government must take responsibility.”

The defense ministry recently pledged $1.5 million to support the camps, Taz Greyling, the chief of MONUSCO’s demobilization, disarmament and reinsertion (DDR) section said.

The camp inhabitants are members of a number of rebel groups, many from Congo, but others from the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), a force which includes former Hutu militia accused of involvement in the 1994 genocide in neighbouring Rwanda.

Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda.
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top