A day or so back, Burundi sources said President Pierre Nkurunziza had diverted a whopping $650,000 from a malaria medication programme to fund elections.
The President is making painful cuts here and there to raise money for elections.
EAC has announced an emergency Summit of Heads of State on Burundi scheduled for the 31st May, 2015 in Dar es Salaam Tanzania to look into the country’s situation.
In the meeting, EAC leaders especially the Chairman of the regional bloc, Jakaya Kikwete and Kenya President, Uhuru Kenyatta, asked Nkurunziza to postpone elections due to the reigning political instability.
In their various statement, African Union and ICGLR also urged Burundi to postpone elections as the situation now cannot allow a free and fair exercise.
When the situation worsened following a military coup, United States of America cut military funding to Burundi.
Belgian Minister for Development Cooperation, Alexander De Croo, also announced a temporary suspension of funding to Burundi June elections.
De Croo said the Belgian development cooperation had planned a budget of € 4m to fund elections in Burundi which was henceforth suspended.
The European Union is withholding $2.3m (£1.5m) of funding for the elections unless “conditions for a free, peaceful and credible election are secured”.
Now, broke Burundi has resorted to more desperate measures.
Nkurunziza begs population to contribute some money
Tuesday, Nkurunziza took to social media, Facebook begging citizens to contribute money to help conduct elections.
“Supported by its partners, the government of Burundi has already put together a good part of the means necessary for the holding of the general elections planned respectively the June 5, elections for the President of the Republic And the July, 17 elections for senators,” the presidency said in a statement.
“In order to fulfil its commitment to build a democratic culture based on the universal principle of choice by the people of its leaders from base to Summit, the government invites the patriotic citizens convinced of this noble principle, to a voluntary contribution to support the efforts already made by the friends of Burundi.”
To do this, continued the statement, an account has been opened at the bank of the Republic of Burundi (BRB) under the number: 1110/232 The Title “Elections 2015”
Nkurunziza says he will not bow to foreign pressure
It is the same day, Tuesday when Burundi condemned mounting diplomatic pressure over President Pierre Nkurunziza’s controversial bid to stand for a third consecutive term, signalling it would not bow to international criticism.
Spokesman Philippe Nzobonariba said on state radio that Nkurunziza was still unwilling to compromise even though the political crisis has already sparked weeks of civil unrest, an attempted coup, a refugee crisis and international isolation.
“The government of Burundi is profoundly preoccupied by the current diplomatic activity which could undermine and denigrate our republican institutions and constitution,” he is quoted by AFP as saying.
“Certain questions that touch on our sovereignty, constitution and the primacy of our laws cannot be debated. The Burundian government will not negotiate and will not discuss matters that undermine our institutions.”
Burundi’s crisis erupted after the ruling CNDD-FDD party nominated Nkurunziza to stand again in the June 26 presidential election, prompting street protests by activists and opposition groups that have so far left at left at least 30 people dead.
Opposition and rights groups say that Nkurunziza’s bid for a third five-year term violates the constitution as well as the terms of a peace deal that ended a 13-year civil war in 2006.