A total of 26 students from United States of America, Canada and UK are among those who have gone back to their countries following a terror alert issues by the police last week.
The last group of ten students left on Wednesday, a week before the expected time they were supposed to leave as the rest of students prepare for exams.
Deputy Vice Chancellor (DVC) in charge of External Relations, David Mugawe says they released them prematurely to go back to their countries to avoid anxiety that was being mounted from their parents and guardians through the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities.
He says the rest of the work that they have not completed is expected to be done while they are back in their respective countries.
He also says arrangements will be made on when and how to do their exams.
The security at UCU has also been beefed up since last Friday when police chief Gen Kale Kayihura warned that Somali militant group, Al Shabaab, was planning to hit schools and education institutions along the Kampala-Jinja highway.
This has seen the deployment of fully armed police officers on the university and closing all university entrances leaving only the main gate to be used as an access point for all.
The UCU Vice Chancellor, John Senyonyi also issued a memo to all the university staff and students arguing them to stay vigilant and follow instructions issued by security personnel in the campus.
“As always, the most vulnerable are the highly populated areas; the University is one such place. I urge you to keep alert and take particular precaution. Keep away if there is no necessity for you to be in a crowded public place. Please note that until a ‘stand down’ of the security alert is given, you are advised to use the University’s main gate as all other gates are to remain closed,” Senyonyi says in a memo.
The university is also holding closed meetings with hostel owners on how to ensure the safety of the students in these places.