Sudan President Omar al-Bashir who won the presidential election by 94 percent majority, has now resolved to attack and take back South Sudan.
Bashir, who has ruled the country since coming to power in a military coup in 1989, will continue his rule, despite previously stating that he would not run for re-election.
This year’s vote, which was extended for a day due to low turnout, took place between April 13 and 16 in an election boycotted by major opposition political parties.
A statement issued on April 20 by the United States, the United Kingdom and Norway criticised “Sudan’s failure to create a free, fair, and conducive elections environment” hence the outcome of these elections cannot be considered a credible expression of the will of the Sudanese people.
But The East African bloc IGAD, the Inter-governmental Authority on Development, Executive Secretary Mahboub Maalim said in a congratulatory message to Bashir, that elections “were largely conducted in peaceful and credible manner”.
Bashir threatens to attack South Sudan
Bashir has now threatened to pursue Sudanese rebels inside South Sudan’s territory.
Bashir is quoted by Eye radio saying he has given South Sudan one last chance to disarm rebels known as the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM).
He said this while addressing the army in South Darfur yesterday.
“We have patience for our brothers in South Sudan; we gave them their country including oil. What was their response to us? It was plotting and betrayal.”
“But we are telling them to disarm the Sudanese rebels. If not, we have something to say.”
Last week, Sudanese army clashed with the JEM rebels in South Darfur.
This prompted accusations that South Sudan is sheltering the rebels.
Meanwhile, South Sudan has denied the accusations, saying there is no evidence.
The Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Michael Makuei, said Bashir is looking for an excuse to attack South Sudan.
“Already Sudan government is supporting the rebels of South Sudan. Number two, they want to invade by any means. So they are now creating an excuse so that when they enter South Sudan, that will be under the pretext that they are giving hot pursuit to the rebels,” Mr Makuei told Eye Radio.
This month, Sudanese war planes bombarded Northern Bahr el Ghazal, killing at least four civilians.
Sudan’s Defence Minister, Abdul-Rahim Mohamed Hussein, said they had decisively defeated Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) in Al Nakhara area of Tulus Locality in South Darfur.
The Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and Rapid Support Forces clashed on Sunday with the Justice and Equality Movement in South Darfur State near the border with South Sudan.
He is quoted by Radio Tamazuj saying the army had closed the border with South Sudan to stop any infiltration of the rebels.
He claimed the intensive trainings were done by foreign experts and other hostile countries under the auspices of the South Sudan government.
The intention was to cause major insecurity and disrupt the electoral process, according to the defense minister.
Spokesman for South Sudan’s army, Brig Gen Philip Aguer, described the accusations by Khartoum as “baseless and unfounded”.