Audio: Court blocks Besigye anti-Museveni demo


Court of Appeal has banned all activities planned by opposition Forum for Democratic Change [FDC] officials and their supporters.

Deputy Chief Justice Steven Kavuma said Friday that an interim order has been issued stopping FDC agents from organising any processions or any activities under their defiance campaign.

He said the interim order will stand until a case filed by Government is dispossessed off.

Kizza Besigye had already announced plans for a city demonstration on May 5 to demand for an audit of 2016 elections before President Yoweri Museveni can be sworn in on May 12.

Kavuma, however, says opposition has been banned from holding any public meetings, media campaigns or pronouncements especially the May 5 demonstration.

Listen to the audio by Daily Monitor:

Court also stopped all proceedings in a pending case between Besigye and the Attorney General at the High Court and another between Besigye and the Inspector General of Police at Nabweru Court pending the hearing and determination of the main application for a temporary injunction.

Meanwhile, New Vision reports that police has also written to Besigye stating terms for allowing his planned demonstration on May 5.

On April 25, Besigye wrote to Police notifying them about his plans to lead a demonstration from FDC headquarters in Najjanankumbi to Nakivubo Blue Primary School.

In a letter on Friday, police told Besigye his notification fell short of several requirements enumerated in Section 5 of the Public Order management Act.

According to Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson, Patrick Onyango, unless Besigye provides evidence of consent from the owner of the venue where the demonstrators will converge at the end of the day, the march will be blocked.

Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda. info@theinsider.ug
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top