One of the condemned buildings next to the recent collapsed building site collapsed on Friday night.
National Disaster Management Unit (NDMU) deputy director Pius Masai said no casualties or missing reported in the 10.20PM incident. “Yesterday night, one of the condemned building next to the collapsed building site in Huruma collapsed just immediately after some people had been forcibly removed from it by members of the community.
National Disaster Management Unit (NDMU) appeal to members of the public to take caution and avoid entering or moving closer to such structures,” said Masai. Mr Masai appealed to the members of the public to take caution and avoid entering or moving closer to such structures.
He said: “Such structures are dangerous to all. I urge the authorities concerned to move with speed in resolving matters that have slowed the demolition process and allow demolitions to take place.
We thank members of the public for supporting the prevention, mitigation and preparedness strategies. I call upon the building owners take responsibility in ensuring safety and security of the nearby buildings.” He added that most of the owners of condemned buildings and structures have moved to court and obtained court orders, hence derailing demolitions.
“NDMU is working in the affected communities in disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness strategies. The demolition exercise has slowed down due to emerging issues of law since the owners have moved to court to obtain court orders,” he added.