Al Shabaab witness: How I detonated Kyadondo bombs


Kyadondo Rugby Club


The second prosecution witness in the 2010 Kampala terror attack trial has narrated how he detonated the Kyadondo Rugby Club bomb.

Edrisa Nsubuga is serving a 25-year jail sentence at Kigo prison after he was convicted of terrorism. He is now one of the state witnesses in the trail of the terror suspects now before Justice Owiny Dollo.

He says he detonated the second bomb blast using a phone while he stood at the entrance to the Rugby Club in Kampala.

The two bomb blasts killed over 74 people.

Nsubuga narrated to court how he and Hussein Hassan Luyima paired up with two suicide bombers to blow up Kyadondo Rugby Club and Ethiopian Restaurant in night of July 11, 2010.

Nsubuga name the two suicide bombers as Kaka, a Kenyan national and Muruzalu, a Somali national.

He says on that fateful night, he left the safe house which they had hired in Namasuba from which the mission was hatched with Muruzalu and headed to Kyadondo Rugby Club while his colleague called Luyima also left with Kaka for Ethiopian Village Restaurant.

Luyima is one of the suspects in the trial.

He told court that the Kenyan and Somali terrorists died in the two blasts.

The two according to Nsubuga wore suicide vests from the safe house before they left for the mission.

Nsubuga says they easily accessed Kyadondo Rugby Club because there was no tight security at the entrance.

He added that they placed the two bags with one laptop bag containing the explosives on the table near them.

“Muruzalu became impatient as he wanted to detonate the bombs quickly but I showed him the police officers who were patrolling around that they will catch him. So he cooled down and the first half ended with singer Bebe Cool coming onto the stage to sing for the revellers,” he said

Nsubuga says testifies that they took advantage of the commotion at the entrance to detonate the explosives which by that time they had managed to smuggle to the bar area.

The bombs according to Luyima went off at exactly 11:15pm.

Edrisa Nsubuga says he jumped on the boda boda and sped off towards town after he had made a call that detonated the second bomb.

Nsubuga says Issa Luyima, one of the suspects on trial took the bombs to his home and introduced and recruited into the terror mission.

Thirteen terror suspects are face charges of terrorism, murder, attempted murder and being accessories to terrorism.

All charges are linked to the Kyadondo Rugby Club and Ethiopian Village Restaurant bombings.

The hearing continues tomorrow with cross examination of the witness by a host of defense lawyers.


Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda.
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top