The Uganda Police Force has compiled a fresh list of officers who are suspected to have deserted their different official assignments with no intention of returning.
According to SSP Namaye Polly, Deputy Press and Public Relations Uganda Police Force, an officer is said to have deserted when he or she is absent from duty without authority for a continuous period of twenty one days (21) or more.
Article 59(1) of the Police Act States “A person who deserts the service in the force commits an offence and is liable to conviction by a criminal court to imprisonment for one year”.
The list comprises of 37 (thirty seven) names of personnel that were deployed in different units including general duties and field force unit, from the rank of special police constables to police constables.
S/NO F/NO RANK NAME UNIT
1. BGRI003 SPC ABASI MUSOBYA BUGIRI
2. 53602 PC ARUPO DEBORAH BUGIRI
3. 56791 PC OKECH MARK BUGIRI
4. 57844 PC MUKISA GEOFREY BUNDIBUGYO
5. 37195 CPL ABIRIGA G ALBERT FFU
6. 56667 PC AKAMPURIRA ONESMUS FFU
7. 46659 PC AKEELLO TEDDY FFU
8. 35205 PC ALELE DENIS FFU
9. 40389 PC AMURUNGIMOE GODFREY FFU
10. 60242 PC AWOMI SEBBI FFU
11. 31488 PC BYARUGABA MOSES FFU
12. 57459 PC GWENTANDA JOHN PAUL FFU
13. 58151 PC KIRUUTA FRANCIS FFU
14. 43961 PC NDUZALIRE JOHNSTONE FFU
15. 40062 PC NGOZI CHRISTOPHER FFU
16. 56789 PC OKECHA COLLIN FFU
17. 48035 PC OKELLO EMMANUEL OJAMERI FFU
18. 57472 PC NANTAMU ALEX FFU
19. 49946 PC ABACA MARTIN FFU
20. 52281 PC EPILA JOHN BAPTIST FFU
21. 48578 PC SATYA MICHAEL FFU
22. 37640 PC KHAWANGA GODFREY KABALAGALA
23. 33793 PC KHISA MUSA KABALAGALA
24. KAB012 SPC KIRYA WILBER KABALAGALA
25. 59504 PC ABACHA BONNY KABALAGALA
26. 57662 PC MUJUMBUZI ROLANDA KABALAGALA
27. 25661 CPL MUHUMUZA WILLY KAJJANSI
28. 45940 CPL ISABIRYE ABU KAMULI
29. 57544 PC BIIRA ANJELA KASESE
30. 56957 PC KATONGOLE JOB NJAWUZI KIBALE
31. 47563 CPL MALEZA NATHAN DISON KWEEN
32. 35246 CPL TAGANYA MUBARAK MANAFWA
33. 46564 PC ACHOM SIMON A MOROTO
34. 47347 PC LOBOE JIMMY MOROTO
35. 46091 PC MENYA WILSON MOROTO
36. 42957 CPL MBUSA ADOLF MOROTO
37. MOR021 SPC ONDOMA JESUS MOROTO
38. 40790 PC ONGU ALEX MOROTO
Namaye says the above officers have officially been declared as deserters and their respective unit commanders have been informed to arrest them for trial.
The Directorate of CIID is in the process of compiling desertion files pending the arrest of these suspects.
Desertion from duty is a crime that may impact negatively on human resource management and development especially since those officers are trained and equipped with official materials such as uniforms and ammunition.