Twenty-seven pupils of Kings Kid Primary School, Soroti District have been rushed to hospital over suspected food poisoning.
They were Friday morning rushed to Soroti Regional Referral Hospital where they are currently undergoing treatment.
At the children’s ward, about eight of the pupils clad in their uniforms laid on the hospital beds while on drip.
James Peter Odeke, the school head teacher said the children started feeling stomach upsets and vomiting on Thursday evening, but they were attended to by the school nurse.
He said when their conditioned worsened, the school management called the hospital administration which advised them to rush the children to the hospital for further medication.
“As we talk now, some of the pupils have been discharged and will be going home with their parents,” Mr Odeke added.
He refuted claims of food poisoning, saying from what the medics have shown them, it is Malaria that had caused stomach upsets and vomiting among the children.
Mr Odeke said the affected pupils are in the school’s boarding section especially from primary four to six.
However, a nurse who asked not be named said of all the tests done, there are no confirmatory presence of Malaria parasites in any of the pupils blood.
“I suspect the food that the pupils ate could have caused the stomach upsets and vomiting,” she said, adding that the pupils are recovering.
One of the parents identified as Florence Apio, said she rushed to the hospital only to find that one of the children was her daughter.
“Well I have interacted with the nurses and they tell me, there is no need to worry,” she said, adding after her daughter is discharged, she will have to take her home for further monitoring.