2010 terror case: 5 get life in prison, 2 get 50 years


Justice Owiny during a Friday court session [Curtsey photo]

Uganda High Court has sentenced five of the thirteen 2010 terror attacks convicts to life imprisonment.

The court also handed the other two handed 50 years jail each other on charges of terrorism and murder.

Justice Owiny Dollo said he doesn’t believe death sentence, as earlier requested by prosecution.

He handed life imprisonment sentences to the mastermind of Kampala twin bombings Isa Ahmed Luyima and his four accomplices; Hussein Hassan Agad, Idris Magondu, Habib Suleiman Njoroge and Muhammed Ali Muhamed.

Owiny then handed 50-year jail terms to Suleiman Hajjir Nyamadondo and Hassan Haruna Luyima.

He had earlier in the afternoon sentenced Muzafar Luyima to 1 year of community service.

Defence lawyer Caleb Alaka says the five men who were acquitted yesterday were later re-arrested and detained afresh.

They include Omar Awadh Omar, Muhamad Hamid Suleiman, Yahya Suleiman Mbuthia, Batematyo Abubakar and Dr Ismael Kalule.

In 2011, suspect Edris Nsubuga, aged 31, was sentenced to three concurrent 25-year sentences after he pleaded guilty.

Muhamoud Mugisha, 24, pleaded guilty and was also sentenced to 5 years imprisonment for conspiring to commit terrorism.

Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for the 2010 Kampala blasts as retaliation for Ugandan support for AMISOM.

The trial of the 13 Uganda, Kenyan and Tanzanian suspects started in March 2015 at the High Court of Uganda.

On July 11, 2010, first bomb went off at Ethiopian Village restaurant in Kabalagala. Fifteen people died in this attack.

At about 11:18PM that same night, another bomb exploded at Kyadondo Rugby Club, killing over 60 people on the spot.

Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda.
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top