South Sudan

18 killed in South Sudan shootings


Attacks by armed gunmen have left at least 18 people dead in the warring South Sudan.

Unknown gunmen shot dead a commercial motorbike operator on Wednesday at around 7:00 pm in Nyokuron North neighborhood of Juba.

In another incident, thieves broke into a club in Gudele West Block One extension residential area of Juba on Thursday night at around 3:00 am taking a 52-inch television.

On Wednesday night also robbers attempted to enter Custom Hotel but the 777 force were called.

A witness said the 777 police gunned down one of the suspected thieves.

In Kajo Keji county, local authorities say unknown gunmen attacked a vehicle along the road to Juba on Saturday leaving four dead and eight wounded.

Kajo-Keji County Commissioner, Henry Kala Sabuni, said the incident happened between the locations of Ayat Company military detachment and Kuruki army unit, Catholic Radio reported.

Meanwhile, three women were confirmed killed and others injured in a Saturday road ambush near South Sudan’s capital Juba, Central Equatoria state authorities said.

State information minister Samuel Soba told Radio Tamazuj Sunday that gunmen opened fire on a convoy of cars traveling to Yei for a funeral.

The incident happened about 30 miles from Juba between locations where SPLA forces have been deployed to protect people.

This attack occurred the same day as another road ambush in Central Equatoria’s Kajo Keji county.

Also at least 9 passengers including a woman and two children were killed and 24 injured in an ambush at Khor Nyigar area north of Upper Nile state capital Malakal on Saturday evening.

Several eyewitnesses living the UN base in Malakal said the incident took place after a vehicle moved from the gate of the base toward Renk town around 7:00 pm.

Survivors and relatives report that at least two women, a man, and two children remain missing after the incident.

One of the survivors who preferred not to be named told Radio Tamazuj that the attack involved an explosive device.

She said the attack appeared to target the Shilluk tribe because most of the passengers were from that ethnic group.

Others kidnapped by rebels

Upper Nile state information minister Gatluak Peter Hoth confirmed the incident and accused forces under rebel general Johnson Olony, who is Shilluk, of carrying out the attack.

The Shilluk community has not had uniform allegiances throughout South Sudan’s ongoing civil war.

Some members are loyal to the government, others including Olony rebelled, while still others have remained neutral.

At least eight people were abducted by South Sudanese rebels in Northern Bahr al Ghazal state’s Aweil North county last month, local authorities said.

County commissioner Kon Angok Kon told Radio Tamazuj Monday said the exact number of abducted citizens is not known.

He said the rebels took people from their farms, and local chiefs are assessing the total number unaccounted for.

Kon said there have been no movement of the rebels in the county since a series of small attacks in June.


Theinsider Uganda is a news publishing website. We are located at Suite G25 Metroplex Shopping mall, Naalya Kampala Uganda.
Enter ad code here

Copyright © 2016 Theinsider Uganda. Unearthing the truth

To Top